India enjoys sunlight all year round across most of its landscape, making a majority of its climate tropical. Bright sunshine is life-giving and nurturing and it also helps maintain your circadian rhythm and supports the production of Vitamin D. Excess sun exposure, however, can lead to premature skin ageing and even skin cancer (due to Ultraviolet rays).
All these factors can be countered by using the best sunscreen in India for dry skin.
Dry Skin and Sun Protection
Dry skin most commonly occurs due to hot/cold weather or low humidity conditions. Other causes that exaggerate skin dryness include frequent washing with harsh soaps, sunburns, exposure to low humidity, etc. It is characterised by rough (sometimes itchy) skin, scaling, redness, peeling of the skin, and even skin cracking. Exposing dry skin to direct sunlight for long intervals should be avoided as it intensifies these symptoms. Using sunscreens for dry skin with a decent Sun Protection Factor (SPF) is advisable in such cases. Considering the climate in India, an SPF 30 sunscreen would be ideal for daily application on dry skin. A sunscreen of SPF 30 would take you 30 times longer to burn compared to bare skin without sunscreen application.
Sunscreens are ideal for providing you with complete sun protection all day long. Medical research indicates that daily sunscreen usage can:
- Reduce your risk of developing skin cancer or precancerous conditions.
- Decrease your chances of developing melanoma by 50 percent.
- Reduce the probability of squamous cell carcinoma by nearly 40 percent.
- Avert early signs of skin ageing due to sun damage (ex. prevent age spots, wrinkles, sagging skin, etc.)
- Protection from photosensitivity (caused by certain medications or medical conditions which make your skin highly sensitive to sun exposure).
What is sunscreen made up of?
Most sunscreens for dry skin contain active ingredients to prevent the sun’s UV radiation from reaching your skin.
The primary ingredients in sunscreen are usually:
- Physical (Inorganic) ingredients - Titanium dioxide and Zinc oxide
- Chemical (Organic) ingredients - Avobenzone, and Octisalate
Several sunscreens also combine natural ingredients to enhance the skin benefitting properties of the sunscreen.
There are several misconceptions related to sunscreen use in general. Let us look at some basic ground rules for the usage of the best sunscreen in India for dry skin.
- Contrary to popular belief, sunscreen is safe for daily use and must be used by everyone who goes out facing sun exposure.
- Sunscreen must be applied every day, at least thirty minutes before stepping out into direct sunlight.
- If you sweat excessively, go swimming, or are out in the sun for long periods, you must reapply sunscreen every two hours.
- Even on cloudy days, dab on some sunscreen as the sun’s harmful UV radiation can still harm your unprotected skin.
- The best way to ensure ample sun protection is to apply sunscreen to all the exposed skin on your body.
- Apply 20-30 grams, or as required, of sunscreen evenly over your exposed skin to ensure maximum coverage for sun protection.
- Choose broad-spectrum protection (UVA + UVB) when selecting your sunscreen (UVA causes premature ageing and tanning while UVB causes sunburns).
You can explore brands like Lotus Herbals which offers cruelty-free, dermatologically-tested, paraben, and sulfate-free products for maximum sun protection. They have one of the most comprehensive collections of sun protection products on offer. Let us now explore options for the best sunscreen for dry skin.
BEST SUNSCREEN IN INDIA FOR DRY SKIN
Moisturising Sunscreen (SPF 30)
The SPF 30 sunscreen is specially formulated to tackle dry skin needs and a broad range of sun protection. These sunscreens protect against harmful IR/UVA/UVB rays while maintaining the skin's natural pH balance. This cream is fortified with natural ingredients and helps ease sunburns while reducing the signs of skin pigmentation and blemishes. Water and sweat-proof, this is an ideal sunscreen for daily use and is suitable for normal to dry skin types. Natural ingredients formulated into this sunscreen include:
- Aloe Vera - The perfect cooling and soothing agent for your skin, aloe vera has anti-inflammatory properties that prevent the breakout of acne. A natural astringent, aloe vera also helps to hydrate the skin and reduce the size of pores.
Lotus Herbals Safe Sun Moisturising Sunscreen Lotion (SPF 30 PA++) is the best sunscreen for dry skin that is packed with the hydrating goodness of aloe vera. It maintains your skin’s natural pH balance and protects it from harmful UV rays.
Matte Look Sunscreen (SPF 40)
Matte finish sunscreens specialize in providing a non-greasy and lightweight feel to your skin on application. These sunscreens have a tinted structure that promotes glowing even skin tone while providing broad-spectrum UV protection. Natural ingredients infused in this formulation include
- Birch Tree Extract - Fortified with vitamins, minerals, and amino acids, birch protects skin from contaminants and helps detoxify it too. It improves blood flow and cell regeneration while reducing the sun damage caused to your skin.
- Hops - The flower of the Humulus Lupulus plant contains anti-inflammatory properties that cool and soothe your skin. It also possesses antiseptic qualities which prevent bacterial presence on your skin. Hops extract actively prevents blemishes from appearing on your skin.
- Mallow – Known for its medicinal properties, this plant and its flowers work as natural skin softeners. It has mucilage content (similar to okra), which helps hydrate your skin, while its natural astringent qualities help shrink skin pores.
The Safe Sun 3 In 1 Matte-Look Daily Sunscreen (SPF 40 PA+++) from Lotus Herbals infuses these natural ingredients for a flawless foundation base effect.
Matte Gel Sunscreen (SPF 50)
The beauty of this sunscreen for dry skin with SPF 50 lies in its invisible gel-based formula that provides broad-spectrum protection against UVA & UVB rays. On application, the gel dries quickly, spreads evenly, and forms a thin protective transparent film on your skin. Natural formulations in this gel include:
- Vanilla - Naturally fortified with Vitamin B6, vanilla boosts collagen production and reduces the signs of ageing due to sun damage. It also possesses anti-bacterial properties that reduce the occurrence of acne. Vanilla helps improve skin texture providing a smooth and bright look.
- Horse Chestnut – Rich in flavonoids and antioxidants, this natural ingredient effectively protects the skin from sun damage. It also helps prevent cell damage caused in the skin due to environmental factors.
Neutralize your skin’s free radicals and enjoy the light matte texture of the Lotus Herbals Safe Sun UV Screen Matte GEL Sunscreen (SPF 50 PA+++).
Sports Sunscreen (SPF 50 and 70)
Sports range sunscreens provide broad-spectrum protection and prevent skin burns, excessive tanning, or pigmentation. Specially formulated to be sweat-free and waterproof, these sunscreens are ideal for outdoor and water-based activities. It protects from long hours of sun exposure by reducing free radical damage to your skin. It is composed of non-toxic, preservative-free, natural ingredients such as
- Chamomile - Rich in antioxidants, it helps detoxify the skin gently and protect it from oxidative stress caused by UV rays. Anti-inflammatory properties in chamomile help soothe and boost skin health. This is a potent ingredient in sunscreens for dry sensitive skin.
- Calendula Oil - Extracted from the marigold flower, this natural ingredient is filled with anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and antifungal properties. It has a gentle healing effect on sun-damaged skin and provides deep hydration. Containing natural SPF properties makes it a preferred ingredient in sunscreen preparation.
The Safe Sun Sports Super-Stay Sunscreen (SPF 70 PA+++) and Sports Daily-Defence UV Block Sunscreen (SPF 50+) from Lotus Herbals provide your skin with the ideal sun protection during long hours spent outdoors.
Skin Whitening Sunscreen (SPF 40 and 50)
Whitening Sunscreens guard your skin with broad-spectrum protection and possess skin lightening properties that promote even skin tone. These creams provide a mattifying glow on application and protect against sun-induced tanning and pigmentation. This cream is also available in a gel base which prevents the formation of visible white patches on application. This sunscreen is enriched with the following natural ingredients.
- White peony - Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant extracts from this flower are used extensively to treat and protect skin from harmful UV radiation. It helps to reduce dark spots caused due to hyperpigmentation and improves skin tone.
Preservative-free and fortified with natural ingredients, the Safe Sun Dry-Touch Whitening Sunscreen (SPF 40 PA+++) and UV Shield Whitening Gel Cream (SPF 50 PA+++) from Lotus Herbals are must-haves for ideal sun protection.
Sunscreen Cream (SPF 30)
This cream is an SPF 30 sunscreen containing PARSOL 1789 (Avobenzone) that guards your skin against the full spectrum of UVA and harmful IR/UVB rays. With its sweat-proof, non-greasy properties, this sunscreen effectively reduces sunburn and signs of premature ageing. Suitable for all skin types, it works well for dry skin.
- Plum - Imbued with the goodness of Vitamin E, beta carotene, and antioxidants, plums are ideal for soothing allergies and improving skin complexion. Plum extracts also help protect from harmful sun rays and improve blood flow and skin cell regeneration.
Regulate pigmentation and get perfect UV protection with Lotus Herbals mineral-rich, Safe Sun Sunscreen Cream (SPF 30 PA++).
Review the products offered by different brands in detail, and then choose the best sunscreen for dry skin. A blemish-free and glowing skin signifies healthy skin, and wearing sunscreen regularly is an important step to nurturing better skin health. You must further protect yourself from the harsh sun rays by wearing long sleeves, sunglasses, and wide hats. Skincare has never been easier, thanks to the easy availability of the best sunscreen in India for dry skin.